The women’s beach volleyball team of Kerri Walsh Jennings and April Ross suffered a devastating loss at the hands of the Brazilian duo of Barbara Seixas and Agatha Bednarczuk. This marks Walsh Jennings first Olympic loss in the span 12 years.
The U.S. team was the heavy favorite to nab gold before the Olympics began and throughout the tournament, the American duo didnt drop a single set until the loss against Brazil.
The loss was a result of aggressive serves towards Walsh Jennings which stifled the teams rhythm. After the match Walsh Jennings was hypercritical of herself as this loss closes her opportunity to capture four straight gold medals in the tournament.
In gymnastics, Simone Biles bounced back from a disappointing loss in the women’s beam event earlier in the week and won another gold medal in the women’s floor exercise. She was followed by her teammate Aly Raisman who grabbed a silver medal. Biles will finish the 2016 Olympics with four gold medals and one bronze. Raisman has one gold and two silvers of her own.
- Jenny Simpson won the U.S. first medal in the 1,500m race on Tuesday.
- Both Sandi Morris and Jenn Suhr advanced to the finals in the women’s pole vault competition.
- Shannon Rowbury came in 4th in the women’s 1500m.
- The U.S. women’s indoor volleyball team advanced to the semifinals with a 3–0 victory against Japan.
SEE ALSO: Olympics Roundup: Day 10
What (and who) were watching today:
- Chrishuna Williams in the women’s 800m track and field event.
- Women’s beach volleyball of Ross/Walsh Jennings for the bronze medal.
- Claressa Shields will compete in 75 kg (165 pounds) boxing.